There are many ways to treat depression and decrease depressive symptoms at home, without medication, including:
- Physical activity or exercise (as effective as antidepressants).
Read more: All you need to know about exercise and depression
- An antidepressant diet.
Read more: An easily digested guide to diet and depression
- Practicing mindfulness.
Read more: How to use mindfulness for depression in 5 simple steps – Quick guide to medication-free mindfulness treatment
- Practicing meditation on a regular basis.
Read more: Top 3 beginner meditations for depression – A psychologist’s guide on how to use meditation for depression
- Getting better sleep quality.
Read about the best sleep tools here: All you need to know about depression and sleep – The most effective sleep strategies for improving depression
- Stop smoking (this is actually as effective as taking antidepressants).
Contact the NHS stop smoking services.
- Drink carefully. Visit the NHS Alcohol Support.
- Gardening (preferably together with other people)
- Spending time with animals.
- Connecting with friends and family.
- Showing kindness and giving to others.