How does Flow work?
What happens inside my head?
- The Flow headset delivers (very) gentle electrical signals to the brain. It activates brain cells in an area in the front of the brain – more specifically, on the left side of your brain.
- The technology used is called transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) and should not be confused with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) or ‘electroshock’ therapy. Usually, tDCS feels like a slight tickle on your forehead.
- The stimulation restores brain activity in your frontal lobe and decreases your depressive symptoms.
- For most people, the changes in brain function are noticeable after only 3 weeks and you get the best effect when you follow the treatment protocol. You’ll receive 5 stimulation sessions per week during the first 3 weeks and later, you will have 1-2 sessions per week for as long as you like. Each session is 30 minutes.
The Flow Therapy app
- There are many things you can do at home to reduce symptoms of depression. To maximize your chances of recovering, Flow combines brain stimulation with behaviour therapy.
- The treatment programme is brought to you by licensed psychologists and developed according to recent research on depression. It includes well-used techniques for changing habits that maintain depression, and building new ones that help you recover.
- You go through the sessions wherever and whenever you want. A virtual therapist helps you schedule sessions and also reminds you about them.
- The brain stimulation technique used in the Flow headset gives less severe and fewer side effects than medication, but offers similar results.
- 81% notice a reduction of their depressive symptoms after only 3 weeks with the Flow headset
- The treatment improves your mood, concentration, optimism and initiative, while reducing anxiety and suicidal thoughts.
Sounds too good to be true?
What about safety?
- A Swedish design with maximum safety in mind.
- The treatment is CE certified. This means that Flow is approved for medical use and compliant with the strict European laws for medical devices.
- The CE certification ensures that: 1) Flow is based on scientific evidence, 2) the treatment reduces depressive symptoms and 3) the headset is safe to use.
- Please note that your skin can get slightly irritated under the electrodes. This is harmless and will subside 30-60 minutes after use.